In light of the recommended guidelines from the Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC) with respect to COVID-19, CARHA Hockey is considering every safeguard to ensure the safety of the participants, officials, volunteers and fans who take part in our great game. As a result, we are asking teams to replace the traditional postgame handshake with a fist pump (gloves on).
Despite reports of the risk being low for contracting COVID-19 to the general public in Canada, we are doing our due diligence in communicating the following information/recommendations from the Public Health Agency of Canada:
Proper hygiene can help reduce the risk of infection or spreading infection to others:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after using the washroom and when preparing food
- Use alcohol-based hand sanitizer if soap and water are not available
- When coughing or sneezing:
- Cough or sneeze into a tissue or the bend of your arm, not your hand
- Dispose of any tissues you have used as soon as possible in a lined waste basket and wash your hands afterwards
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth with unwashed hands
- Clean the following high-touch surfaces frequently with regular household cleaners or diluted bleach (1 part bleach to 9 parts water):
- Door handles
- Bedside tables
- Television remotes
Current risk may be low but it's better to be safe than sorry. It's important to get out ahead of a virus such as this before things get out of hand.
It can affect all of us, and those around us, too.